Lanesville Shores and North Lane’s Cove

We had to go north today because the Blynman Bridge is broken.  No boat traffic is being permitted to go under it while it is being fixed.  That means EVERYONE is going north, regardless of the conditions.

Speaking of conditions, they were remarkable.  No breeze to speak of, high tide about 10:48 AM, cloudless sky, 80 degrees and rising for air temp, with 59 degree water temp (on the surface).  Pete suggested we stop at Lanesville Shores, just off the graveyard for our first site.  It looked fine and we had Kevin and Linsley Mordasky, Pat and Karen Hatcher, Juli and Kiera – all from Connecticut – to report back on their findings there.  Pete, Pat, and Kathy Cardinale were crew.  The Captain dove wet and I drove the boat.

It was about 20 feet deep and the visibility was 10-15 feet, but it was sunny even underwater.  The golden Irish Moss in the shallows was glistening.  I saw tons of teeny, tiny fish.  They were so young you could see clear through their bodies.  At only about 1 inch long, they proved to be too small and too far away for the video to do them justice.  Nevertheless, I lay and marveled at their antics in the sea lettuce fronds.  My drysuit’s valve leaked and my left arm got soaked.  Oh well, at least the water’s warm.

We just moved a little closer to Lane’s Cove for the second dive.  Same water conditions, but there was a thermocline at 19 feet, according to Pete.  It was 59 degrees above it and 52 degrees below it.

Everyone took their time getting ready for the second dive, so I jumped in with the remainder of my steel 70.  The boulders sheltered some really big lobsters and they were fun to video.  One came out boldly when he/she sensed me hovering nearby.

I felt a shadow without really seeing anything and looked up to find a striped bass watching to see what I’d do.  They wait to see if you pull out a lobster and then drop it as being too short.  Sometimes they’ll snatch the lobster before it gets back into a hole.  Opportunists of the first order.  I wasn’t hunting, so there was no reason for it to hang around.  It didn’t stay.

When I surfaced everyone else was in the water, so I got dressed quickly.  When Kathy and I were relaxing on the bow with Wheat Thins and Sprite, the rest of the crew helped the customers as they returned.  What a life!

The trip back down the river to the Cape Ann Marina was much faster then I thought it was going to be and there were many fewer boats in the river at Wingaersheek Beach.  I guess the folk that travel up to Cape Ann from Salem and Beverly were staying home rather than circumnavigating to get to a sandy anchorage.

It was a wonderful New England summer day with great people.

Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: