Flukey Fog

It rained hard last night, but there was very little wind.  The morning brought thick fog on the south side of the cape.  We decided to go north with some new folk who were renting everything from Freedom Diving on Rogers Street in Gloucester in order to go out with us.  It looked like it would be good at Folly Cove.

Laurent joined new-comers Kent and Steve as customers.  Kathy Cardinale, Peter Donahue, The Captain and I were crew.   We put-putted north with fog tendrils all around.  No one was out.  It was raining steadily.  We saw a large gaggle of cormorants on the river near the rocks painted as frogs.  They took flight as we neared and flew faster than we were traveling up the river to the beach at Wingaersheek.

We picked our way by the buoys up to the mouth of the river where the fog cleared somewhat because the breeze had picked up from the southeast.  It was drizzling.  Folly Cove looked like it would be a good choice since it would be Steve’s first boat dive and Kent’s first scuba dive since December.  

I anchored far into the cove at the graffiti on the western rock wall that we call A.R.E.R.  It was just outside Calf Cove and 25 feet deep.  The tide was coming in, so we hoped for reasonably clear water.  After his dive, Laurent reported it was about 15 feet of visibility with 48 degrees at 60 feet.

Pete and The Captain went in for a quick tour, while Kathy and I drank Pete’s chicken noodle soup to get warm.  The rain let up a little, but I had wet feet and my nose was dripping.  It’s hard to wipe that stuff on a foul weather slicker, so I kept tearing off sheets of paper towel to stem the flow.

As we hauled anchor to head back down the coast for the second dive, we noticed that the fog was thickening around Folly Point.  Sure enough, as we motored towards the mouth of the Annisquam, the fog became worse.  We didn’t think there would be any good site for the second dive where everyone would be safe, so we called it and gave everyone 1/2 of the fee back.  That way, we could be sure that there would be no fog bank losses at all.

The trip home was at dead slow, with all eyes peeled.  Red nun on the right when returning to port.  Green can on the left.  Watch for the day mark at the rock pile as we enter the river.  Watch for the white mooring balls on either side of the channel as we slowly move down the channel towards the marina.  It was a Hunter’s Moon high tide – 12 feet.  The whole marsh was awash.  Cormorants were huddled on the highest part of rocks across from Mary Scalli’s house as though they didn’t want to get their feet wet.

We had to lower our antennas to get under the railroad bridge.  Everyone seemed to OK with the shortened trip.   We certainly were.

Later there was kale soup + egg salad sandwich or a cheeseburger at Morning Glory restaurant.  It sure hit the empty spot in my stomach.

Tomorrow should be sunny for the last charter of the season.

One Response to “Flukey Fog”

  1. Steve Says:

    Thanks Chris,

    Kent and I had a great time. Saw a Sea Raven (prettysure that’s what it was), as well as crab, lobster, and lots more. Can’t wait until spring!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: