Not According to Plan

We were ready for a little more video testing and were only going to go into the harbor because it was still windy. That was the plan.

I was driving once Pete got the boat out of the slip for me. I hate having to make a quick manoeuver into the wind as we leave the finger dock. I’d rather bark directions to Laurent, John or Bill Low to “keep the bow line tight” or “watch the stern corner.” Then I can climb up to the driving station and motor down to the Blynman Bridge while Pete and the others get suited up.

Everything was fine as we passed under the bridge without even needing it to be lifted for us. The tide was almost low and we had plenty of room to make it under if we lowered our antennas. As we entered the harbor, I saw a fellow doing Tai Chi (sp?) at the railing overlooking the cut. He waived from the pose he was in. Great balance.

As I turned towards the harbor mouth and slowly started increasing speed, I noticed that the engine wasn’t responding as it normally did. It wasn’t reving as fast as it should be. In fact, it was losing RPM. What’s going on? It felt like the time we had run out of fuel.

As everyone realized what was happening, The Captain directed me to back it down and do a slow turn towards Stage Fort Park while they opened the engine compartment to see what they could find. They found water bubbling in the separator so we stopped everything and set the anchor.

We were protected from the worst of the wind and everyone (Bill Low, John B., Laurent Dubois) was fine with the temporary delay. Of course, we were in no danger of sinking, just of having the engine be ruined from water in the diesel fuel.

We decided that Pete and I would row to shore. He’d then walk back to the Cape Ann Marina to get diesel in a jug. He’d then walk back to the inflatable and we’d row it out to Easy Diver. In fact, he got a lift from Peter, the dockmaster at the marina. By the time he’d called me with the new plans, I was able to beat him back to the boat by a super human effort of rowing myself up into the north wind from the rocky shore where we’d beached the inflatable. Peter times two arrived with the fuel and we rigged a hose to the engine to deliver it.

I put-putted back to the dock and Pete did a masterful job of docking against a lessening north east wind.

How did the water get into our fuel? That’s the question of the day.

Everyone helped us pump the fuel tank into containers and to measure the amount of water in them as it separated. Fran Marcoux and his son, Matt, of Daybreaker were extremely helpful with buckets and bottles and containers from their collection, as well as their knowledge of what to look for in the contaminated fuel.

This was not what we’d planned for on a sunny Mother’s Day.

Was it vandalism?

We don’t know.

One Response to “Not According to Plan”

  1. Kathy Says:

    I miss all the fun!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: