That’s what the flags were doing as we pulled into the Marina’s parking lot.  The weather had changed dramatically overnight from warm and muggy to bright and brisk.  The wind was forecasted to be from the northwest at 10-15 knots, but I could tell it was already building on that.  So we were going south.

We’d driven around the potential sites with our morning coffee/tea and picked the Back Shore as the best place.  This is a huge area extending, for us, from Brace’s Cove to Good Harbor Beach.  As it turned out, we stopped at The Silo near Bemo Ledge for the first dive.  With Bethany B., Mary M., Jacki K., Andy and LD as customers, we were lucky to have a group of great divers with us.  Veronica, Pete and I were crew.  The Captain maintained everyone’s decorum.

It was 55 degrees at 40 feet with decent visibility, but no prey.  The schooner races were underway and we watched them glide and float and thought of how it must have been 150 years ago, when that was a common sight.  Lots of boats were trolling for blue fish or speeding over to the harbor to watch the boats race, so I was glad I’d taken my Bonine.

For the second dive, I moved north around the point to get calmer water with less passing boat traffic.  This time I anchored just off the flag pole of the Atlantis Motor Inn.  I could see huge boulders on the shore that told me they might just be continued into the water along the same line.  I was right.  There were lots of ups and downs in about 55 degree water at 25 feet.  The wind was driving the warm surface water off to England, so we got clearer water welling up along the shore. 

The Captain and I found several holes that must have once held lobsters that were now eerily empty.  Where’d everybody go?  Peter said he’d gauged 12 too big ones and/or found females with eggs and had to put everybody back into their hiding places.  I guess that’s good news for the next generations of lobster stock.   We packed up and headed back with the tide falling and everyone and his brother lining up to get back through the Blynman Bridge.  We were behind a sailboat that was using every bit of power and some mental imaging to beat the tide’s rush into the Annisquam.  Pete took his time and didn’t rush him because there were some large standing waves right in the middle of the cut that could have caused his spreaders to jam under the bridge’s upraised roadway.  Not a pretty thought and we’ve seen it happen to another sailboat that got to rocking too much as it passed under the open bridge.

We used guy lines to ease the boat back into the slip with a 20 knot reverse wind fighting our efforts.

We won.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: