A Confused Sea

The tide was going to be high at about 11:15 AM.  The breeze was 10-15 knots from the northwest, but there were long rollers from the south east.  We knew we were going south, but where?  The customers included a divemaster candidate – Alan – plus a nervous person who wanted more experience in northern waters.  Others included long-time friends of Easy Diver, Linda and Myanna, an instructor – Cat – and LD.  Pat, Pete and Veronica were crew.  I needed relatively calm, sheltered water where we could see the bottom and where there were lobsters to be caught.

We chose the southwest corner of Salt Island.  The flat sandy bottom abuts the rocky edge of the island for easy navigation and we’d seen a skin diver pull a too-big lobster out of the rocks there last summer.  Maybe his friends were in town today.

Although the plan was a good one, the rollers were in opposition to the breeze and we took the seas OK until passing boat wakes jumbled everything up.  A fast Grady-White towing a large, yellow innertube buzzed the area in an ever widening circle.  We were sloshing, pitching, rolling, and generally uncomfortable on the surface.

On the bottom, Pete and his buddy saw moon snails, a skate, hermit crabs and moon snail collars.  Others brought up huge lobsters that were still legal today, but would be over the limit tomorrow according to Pete.  Happy faces all around.  It was clear and 52 on the bottom.

The second dive was in Brace Cove, with one green-faced diver flat on her back on the bow.  Our crew member, Veronica, began suffering from a migraine and we hauled her aboard quickly.  LD’s dry suit filled with water, so he ended his dive prematurely.  Someone (who shall go nameless)  jumped in without any fins and we brought that person back aboard for a refit, but then that person decided to end it early too.  Pete’s buddy’s hands were too cold to spend much time in the water, so they returned to bask in the sun.  That left Linda and Myanna hunting for dinner.  They returned with reports of cold, clear water of about 22 feet that chilled them to the bone.  Pete said, considering the casualties on board, we should just head directly for Addison Gilbert Hospital.  Joke.

We powered through the Blynman Cut with lots less drama than yesterday’s hair-raising transit.  The tide had turned but wasn’t yet at full bore like it was on Saturday.

It was a high enough tide for an easy trudge up the ramp to unload.  We packed V’s canvas hat with a hunk of ice for her drive home.  She said it had helped on the ride in, so it would be a good thing to have for the return trip to Salisbury.

No matter what, we all had fun.

And we get to do it all over again next weekend.

One Response to “A Confused Sea”

  1. Al the Dinosaur Says:

    Sometimes, it’s good to be nameless!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: