A Mixed Bag of Weather

It started foggy.  The weatherman said, “Be prepared.  Keep an eye to the sky.”  A cold front was predicted to arrive with thunderstorms, wind and rain.  We had Linda and Myanna with newcomer Alex.  They would be happy with clear, calm, warm water, they said.  Sure, no problem.

Because the wind was from the south and predicted to get stronger, we went up the Annisquam River to the restaurant at Folly Cove for the first dive.  Crew was Veronica Atlantis, Pat Walsh and Peter Donahue.  The Captain kept us honest and I drove the boat.

I set the anchor in about 25 feet of water just off the rocks at the southwest edge of the cove.  The tide was going out and the wind helped us drag a little bit.  It was not an issue, though, because Pete moved the hook to a good spot once he got into the water.

Alex and Fred were going to try video as a team.  That worked well enough that we have some new footage for this year’s movie, we think.

The water was cloudy but warm in the low 60s.  It got clear and cold on the bottom as the tide turned.

We looked for a flat spot for the second dive inside Folly, but advancing divers would be in the way.  I chose to go outside to the area just down from Seaside Cemetery, near Tide Rock.  There were folks swimming between those rocks and the shore as we anchored in about 35 feet of water.  The breeze was shifty and the sky was clouding up, but we donned our gear quickly.  I was buddying with Alex this time.

I got to see the cloudy, golden water first hand on this dive.  It wasn’t really murky, just filled with material that glowed with a yellow hue.  Alex proved to have a steady hand and was able to interpret my sign language directions for shots well.  He was diving with just a backpack and a steel 70, thanks to the ministrations of The Captain.

Everyone  had their eyes open for dog fish, but we didn’t find any.  Pete and Linda were buddies and I understand there was cunner feeding, cunner catching by hand, flounder-with-no-holes-catching, and poker-on-nose-balancing involved.  At least no fish were harmed in the course of this dive.  All of them lived to swim another day.

Peter’s computer registered 68 degrees in over 35 feet of water.

As we pulled anchor for home, I could see thunderclouds building in the south.  On the way down the river, I was right in front of the Gloucester Harbormaster’s orange inflatable.  No speeding to the marina permitted.  It started to blow hard and rain just as we cleared the railroad bridge on the final leg.  Peter navigated into the slip in the cold, driving rain with the rest of us huddled under cover.  Just as he began the maneuver to back into the slip, the sun came out and the wind stopped.  Oh well, he was soaked anyway and the sun felt good.

It was a flatish ramp for schlepping gear back to the cars.  WooHoo.

Fun day overall.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: