A “10”

Again, it was supposed to be completely cloudy with a chance of rain.  Or not.  Depended on the weather forecaster.

We left the house with the plan to go to Kettle Island with Linda Giles, Myanna, Alex Shure, and LD with Pete, Pat, and Veronica as crew.

By the time we got to Gloucester Harbor, I could hear the fog horn and couldn’t see very far across the water.  Rut-row, as Linsley Mordasky would say.  Time to dig out the GPS and see it if had any battery life left.  We knew we would be fine as soon as we rounded Magnolia Point because we’d already checked that out.

As we loaded the folk and their gear, the sky started to brighten.  No blue patches (see yesterday), but definitely lighter.

By the time we cleared the Blynman Bridge into the harbor, the fog had retreated all the way across to Eastern Point and our way was clear.  Very few other boats were out.  Perhaps the fog put them off.

We anchored in about 30 feet of water off the SW corner of Kettle Island for the first dive.  There were hunters and there were videographers.  I used 1500 lbs and didn’t see anything unusual.  There were a pair of big claws sticking out of a hole very near the anchor, so I hoped it had already been checked and found to be too big, too pregnant, V-Notched, etc.

I chose Egg Rock for the second dive because the conditions seemed perfect.  Everyone on board was self-sufficient and experienced.  No passing boat traffic would make the surface wait uncomfortable.  No raging current would make the exploring arduous.  No surge would make the rocks dangerous.

I suited up with my Atlan, my light weight belt and took my camera to see if I could shoot the cave from inside, facing out.  You see there’s an iconic feature of Egg Rock.  It’s a cave that is high and dry at low tide.  Unfortunately, today was high tide that had just turned an hour ago.  My trip over was uneventful, even if I did  have to go around the point that we warned everyone to stay inside.  Funny though, I spotted Linda and Myana hunting below the cave’s entrance.  I shot some footage of their efforts as I moved above them to the cave’s entrance.  Ah, yes-s-s.  High-ish tide.  There was an entrance, but it was severely under water.  I braced myself against the surge and turned to align the cave’s edge so the autofocus wouldn’t lose itself in the gloom straight out into the ocean.  Who knows, it might work.

The trip back to the boat was against the outgoing tide and it was quite a chug.  I was overheating in the dry suit.  As I slipped off my mitts, I could feel my hands were hot too.  What a surprise.  As yesterday, the water was 61 degrees – even down to 45 feet, according to Peter.

Everyone raved about their dive as they got back on board.  Linda declared it a “10.”  I certainly agree.

The day as well as the dive and the people on board.

All “10s.”

One Response to “A “10””

  1. "V" Says:

    I keep my fingers crossed now hoping we get out.
    And, happily, we did. We had a great day with great dive buddies!:-)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: