Our trip today had more twists and turns than usual.

We had Patrick Monaghan (the newest Dive Patrol instructor in the world), Amy M. and Roslyn (sp?) from the Northshore Frogmen and Bill Low on board, with Pete as crew.  The Captain marshalled his paperwork and I drove the boat.

First dive was at the sunny, east face of Egg Rock.  As we were anchoring, we saw Cape Ann Divers‘ big boat loading their divers back in.  I took care to move to the far end of the island.  Our anchor was in 35 feet of 59 degree water.  Visibility was super dooper up against the rock wall – 20-25 feet or more.  The tide was coming in and I felt its coldness was a wake-up call to watch the current’s direction.  It was easy to navigate because I had entered the deep, wide crevasse next to the wall.

I saw a group of pollack in mid-water about 1/2 way through the trench’s length.  Patrick reported seeing a very big flounder down a crack and an aggressive fish with large teeth as well.  We guessed it was a blue fish from his description.

As we loaded everyone on board, they agreed the site was an amazing one.

For seconds, I moved us to the back side of Kettle Island, just a little way away.  Here I got a second dive in from my first tank and videoed some decorator crab action on an abandoned lobster trap.

Good visibility, but there was a lost camera involved.  Not mine, but one belonging to a customer.

Then we got boarded by the Environmental Police.  Everything checked out OK and they left to check on a small lobster boat with a very nice older gentleman at the helm.

Then we pulled anchor to return to the marina and I felt the boat’s speed drop quickly without my having touched the throttle. Rut row.  The Captain had me go into reverse and we heard, “thump, thump” against the bottom of the hull.  Double rut row.

Patrick volunteered to dive under and see what was up.  In only his bathing suit.

He confirmed that we’d picked up a lot of line.

Amy volunteered her still set up tank and he held it under his arm, wearing flippers I grabbed from the rack that didn’t fit over his heels, to dive with a knife and attack the snarl.  Good on ya, mate.

Several minutes later he surfaced with a wad of blue and white polypropylene line and the remains of a float (the source of the thumps).

Then we started again for home.

Customer were hustled off as quickly as possible, because we were going to an aerial shoot of the boat at the Dry Salvages.  I believe Amy M. left her camera case on board.

Thanks to Charlotte Richardson and Devon Wiebe, I was treated to an airplane ride to the site while Pete and The Captain motored there via the traffic jam that was the Annisquam River.

Here are some shots that Charlotte took:

Busy Sunday on the Annisquam River by Charlotte Richardson

Busy Sunday on the Annisquam River by Charlotte Richardson

Pete Driving Easy Diver

Pete Driving Easy Diver

We tumbled into bed early from all the fun we’d had today.  That’s why I’m writing this post on Monday morning.

One Response to “Adventure-ville”

  1. Veronica Says:

    Whoa! What a day! :-0
    Good for Patrick “saving the day”. 🙂
    Wicked cool shots done by Charlotte. You had nonstop adventure!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: